Friday, March 24, 2017

Research or Clinical Experience: What is Better

A lot of people asked me how to improve chances next year and I always say improve everything, ERAS application, personal statement, program list, and research/ clinical experience. There is always room for improvement. I read application of several candidates this year and I noticed there was a lot of room for improvement. I met a lot of candidates and some of the programs they applied to didn’t look like a good choice. I will write about how to write ERAS application and how to select program later.

Next question is which one is better to research, observership (if lucky preliminary year). I met a couple of preliminary residents and they told me that for them this match isn’t much better than the previous match. I could not ask too much detail as it felt it is too personal to ask these questions on interview day. One thing is sure it will greatly improve your chances in that program.

Before deciding between observership/externship vs research it is important to find out what you lack in your application and why you didn’t match. It is also important to find out what kind of learning opportunities will be there in the respective clinical or research position.

Those people who didn’t match with more than 5 interviews they need to improve their interpersonal and interview skills. Take my example didn’t match with 12. I had one laboratory research and one clinical assistant offer. I took the clinical position as I felt I lacked in that area. I was surprised to find out how much I can improve. I learned how to talk professionally, how to talk on the phone, how to speak clearly and slowly, how to work in a team, how US health system works. But for that, it has to be a place where you get a chance to see patient independently where you get a chance to make a plan and talk to people. I found my position on craigslist. I will advise green card holders and citizens to search local craigslist for such position there are 2-3 advertisements every month in every major city.

I met a candidate for an interview. When I told him I am from Pakistan he said that he met some other candidate from Pakistan at some other program. Among other things one thing he mentioned that she was very nervous. If this is someone’s first impression then it becomes harder to impress the interviewer. I myself used to be very nervous. While working in the clinic I frequently used to get feedback that I had anxiety issues. Nobody ever told me that before and I never noticed it myself. I was talking to them a few weeks ago and they said you look a lot relaxed. During interview season I stayed with a lot of people or met them on interview day and one thing which a lot of people said that I was one of the calmest candidates they ever met. This was partially I had been to so many interviews but partially due to working in the clinic. I myself noticed that I was a lot calmer during the interview. I remember after an interview a resident asked me who interviewed you I said Dr. XYZ and he asked the one who is expecting a baby and I said I didn’t notice and he was surprised how I cannot notice that. But this time I remember noticing details of how the office was decorated, I remember a lot more detail. I feel that I was enjoying myself and that’s when interviewer starts enjoying to the candidates.

But I don’t want to make an impression that everybody has similar issues and everyone should go for USCE. Research is also very important. I had good USMLE scores including step3 with a lot of USCE so several program directors said that they would like to see more research experience. One program director went into details of how he select candidates and why he liked me. To find research position apply broadly. I made a habit of sending 5-10 emails every night before going to bed. It is a long tiring process but you have to be persistent. You need luck only once.

Observerships in a university program could make your way for a research position. Meeting someone in person carries more weight than a random email. Even if you may not get a full-time position you may publish a case report or some leftover project by a departing fellow. So if someone is looking for a research position but doesn’t have a good opportunity, he should do observership in a university program no matter how many months of USCE he has. As I mentioned previously I didn’t do any research but still, I was able to publish one case report like this.

When someone asks me if he should do research or observership, the first question I ask is that what other options you had, if you are searching for a while and don't have any other opportunity then accept this offer. If you had any other option what is that? Explore all opportunities in detail meet potential mentors, don’t make up the mind before knowing the details. Finally, If you just started searching then how much time do you have to accept the offer? Be open to your potential mentor. Speed up your efforts to find opportunities and if you feel that you don’t have any other option accept it. Bottomline is it is about choosing what you have not what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment